Saturday, October 06, 2007

October 6th - -Looking Forward

I'm about to start my fall streak, and I'm reflecting on where I've been and where I'm going. I thought that by now I might be injury free for the first time in 5 years. I'd looked forward to perhaps doing some real training vs the rehab/crosstrain/"race" routine that has got me here.

Alas, while working on our new deck I reinjured my knee. I still have hopes that the new rehab stuff I've been doing will put it to rights again, but for the next month or so it's the same old thing I've always had. This shouldn't prevent me from doing any races, but the chance that I'll get any faster is slim.

I write this on the eve of the Portland Marathon, which starts a streak of 4 races in 28 days. The next week is a 100K, then after a week off my first 100 at Javelina, then the 50 miler at Autumn Leaves. To some extent my running schedule is on hold until after Javelina - all signs suggest I'll really really like hundred milers, but I need proof. I'm debating entering the WS100 lottery (I have a fistful of qualifiers) but I'll wait to see how Javelina goes.

So beyond 2007, my plans are really up in the air. The only thing I really know is that I'll be avoiding trail 50Ks. For some reason, that's a really discouraging distance for me: I've got poor trail speed and seem to have trouble getting into the groove. As a comparison, my road marathons are 3:30 - 3:40, my 50Ks are around 6 hours, and my 50 milers are around 9 hours. That means the marathons are at 8 minute pace, my 50Ks are at 11.5 minute pace, and my 50 milers are at sub-11 pace (actually faster than 50K!) I've decided to just take a break from the 50Ks, maybe do a road 50k or two in an attempt to transfer my marathon pace to that distance. If Javelina goes well, I'll be busy enough with 50-100 milers.

So I'm taking a deep breath before tackling the next month. 238 racing miles between now and Nov 5th. That may not be much to some people, but it's all new to me.


4 comments:

Backofpack said...

I can't believe we ran into each other in that horde of people at the start! It was great seeing you.

This 50k thing is pretty strange. I can't wait to hear how the streak goes, but more, how your first 100 goes!

Olga said...

Look who is talking back here! Sorry about your knee, I hope it holds well at JJ. If anything, I would bag the 100k a week prior, but it's up to you. Have fun at anything you try!

Sarah said...

It was nice to see you again, as always! Good luck at JJ. I guess I'll see you again at Autumn Leaves.

shawn said...

Hippo - See you this weekend at 20th Century! I'll be the one blasting past you on my bike..."you want this water, do you, do you? Well run faster!" Just kidding. I can comisserate with the rehab/crosstrain routine.

Do you have any photos of your deck? I find that "home" work is a good crosstraining activity. Sorry though about your knee :( The good thing is that this trail is even-steven and should treat your knee well.

Hope to get to catch up with you and hear about Portland.