Friday, May 11, 2007

Well that was easy!

Recovery went even better than I'd hoped this week. I was able to get back to a full training schedule by Wednesday and even spent some time Thursday doing a lactate threshold workout. I think I'll be able to get my weight down to the low I hit in late January by next Monday or Tuesday. I'm excited that I'm getting such a flying start on the 12-week "intermission" I've planned. The only little issue I had this week was the sores on my feet. I was tweezing nasty little chunks of gore out of all the holes until Wednesday or so, but all the discomfort is gone now.

So now I need to get my sorry butt back in shape, maniac-style. I've been bashing myself up with the trail races so far this year, so I'm calling a hiatus until PCT50 at the end of July. A few easy short trail days, consistent knee-friendly low intensity volume, and a bunch of threshold and interval stuff to get my "speed" back. As usual no real long runs, just hang out at a road marathon every other week. Am I the only person who finds road marathons recuperative? Everybody else seems to gripe about them so.

The only exception to all of this is that I might go out for some long days in June when I'm not working. To stay on theme I'll do them as mostly hikes, with a tiny bit of running to keep my legs loose.

This is a big change from my schedule of the last few months, but I really need it. I've been consistently slowing down as I devote too much of each month to knee-recovery. Miwok was the first time I've ever had a back of the pack finish, and even though there's an excuse for it I really didn't like being there. Plus, I really don't want to be sweating the cutoffs at Waldo, and at my current speed that's likely. 18 hours sounds like a lot, but....

So I'm getting used to a new schedule, just as I'm getting used to my looming career change. But there's a sunny weekend ahead, the days are long, and I can spend a lot of time outside. What more could a simple guy ask for? My only misgiving about all of this is that I'll really miss the trail crew while I'm gone. I'll have all the road-maniacs to keep me company but ultra people are special to me.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your long stretch of training!!! How is the knee doing? How are your toes doing?

Do you belong to a gym? Maybe you should do a temporary pass. I find that staristepper and elliptical and just cross training in general have helped me do well without beating up my body too much.

When's waldo?

Olga said...

Hey, that's a plan - ease off with marathons:) tell it to someone on the street! I like the idea of getting speed back, I wish I could do it too - I guess I am too bored with roads though...bad me, lame excuse! One day, I promise!

Backofpack said...

I looked at your race schedule, hoping we'd meet up at one of the next two on my schedule. Doesn't look like it though.

And when are you going to tell us about your looming career change? Heck, I don't even know what your current career is!

DawnB said...

What a great job you did at Miwok
congratulations!!! on a job well done. Your race report awesome. Sorry about your mishap of getting lost and the blisters but look you recovered nicely!! You made quite a few friends out there!!!thats really nice!!! I like your plan for your upcoming training and schedule!!! You have just gotten me one step closer to making the transition beyond the marathon!!!thank you so much for sharing!!!

Sarah Elaine said...

They say that a change is as good as a rest. You sound like you've got a good plan there.

runliarun said...

Reading this I feel lazy in more than one way.

What is Waldo?

seagull junker said...

miwok used to be two hours faster than waldo. so now it is about 1-1.5 hours faster. that puts you at 17. no problem. but relentless forward motion is the key to finishing. remember you won't be climbing the twins. and the section from rd 4290 to the next aid station is about 6 miles instead of 8 because of no hike up the twins. this is the hottest part of the day so likely you shouldn't go dry like in years past.

Unknown said...

I still enjoy the road marathons as well even though the trails are a bit more special to me. I am not one to complain about pounding the pavement. Good luck with the job change. Hopefully we can say hello at the next marathon. I know I have seen you around at quite a few.

Anonymous said...

ha! road marathon as taking it easy!

Michelle Sarabia said...

Enjoy your hiatus. Hopefully our schedule paths will cross. mine is pretty bare right now, but I will be adding more soon.

Bret said...

Thanks for manning the aid station at Forest Park. Was great to see you again.